Monday, January 14, 2008

Links to think and maybe snow. . .

As it stands right now I am in four (count 'em!) classes. Organic chemistry, o chem lab, biochemistry, and physics (biochemistry and physics both have a lab section included). As at the start of any new semester with mostly new teacher (two of the four) I feel hopeful that this semester will be the one where I learn to be organized, streamlined, a quick learner. Not airy or flighty or easily distracted (See me in four months to see how it goes wrong this semester :0)

I like my new biochemistry teacher who seems to have a quiet and quirky sense of humor. Not that I don't think she will have a hidden difficult coming soon. But the class shows definite possibilities of being "doable" in terms of load.

Physics is the same teacher, equally incomprehensible sometimes, where I have moments of brilliant insight that keep me going (and not failing) through out. I think in a different setting (one that did not involve physicists) I would really love physics. Alas, there is no such setting, and all physicists seem to make no sense to me, so physics becomes of self-taught struggle. Electricity right now. Which could work, right?

Organic chem lab is the same prof, same routine, just as hard. Really, really hard. But I survived that one ok. Tomorrow I meet my new teaching assistant. They are the ones who really call the shots in that class (15% of the grade is totally based on their evaluations of students). Pray, ok?

Fourth, and final, is organic chemistry lecture. An evil form of torture made to make even the toughest among us cry ourselves to sleep; so bad atheists turn to God in hopes of a passing, reasonable grade. Alright, say the initiated, it can't be that bad! Au contraire. My class is looking worse by the lecture, and we have only had two so far. Luckily, God and I are already tight so the initial awkwardness of that first desperate cry is gone, and I can go straight to the "help, help" part when that is needed.

In all seriousness, to those who have prayed for me and wished me luck and the best through these sometimes ridiculous classes, I thank you. I am here and smile because of those prayers. And I am sure, for today, that I am where I need to be, doing what I need to be doing. At least this part of my life is uncomplicated. Hard work; sleep; hard work; consider breathing; eat while working; sleep.

I am hoping I can be joyful through the honeymoon phase of class. That is my prayer.

No comments: