Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Holes is jeans and other cool things

I got to do two fun labs today. And for once I don't mean that facetiously. If only I wasn't too tired to really enjoy it all.

During organic lab we preformed a Grignard reaction. For those of you in the know, that means we used ether solvent (extremely flammable) to perform an addition to a keytone, creating an oxide ion which was then protonated. Simply put, for the rest of us, we transformed nail polish remover in the alcohol (yes, ethanol, the drinkable kind). Actually, the final product is still to be determined, and the stuff we made it in is extremely toxic so don't go around setting up stills with plans to make it big on Malia's ability to acetone into alcohol just yet. I still think making and selling bathtub gin to get me through med school might be a good idea. Who know? Could definitely get rid of my debt (smile and laugh).

On to the newly made "Holey" jeans. Physics lab was about capacitance. Kinda fun. And really started to "see" this whole electricity thing. Unfortunately for me the chair with the cushion on it attacked me. I sat comfortable for a few minutes then moved the stool closer to my work station and leaned on it. Out the cushion came a screw, puncturing a small, and rather painful hole in the skin of my hand. Having not learned my lesson, I still sat on the dumb thing. It was a shock to me later that after I stood up, my rear complained. I found a newly formed, rather small, but distinct hole in my jeans. Ah well, not like anybody is looking for it but me!

No comments: