Monday, October 29, 2007

The crazy quotient is high, and Mom is coming today

So the tests are over. I survived. We'll see. On a seriously more entertaining note, yesterday started "Malia's crazy people encounters and other odd happenings." I spent a wonderful weekend with Hope and the girls and Terry. Yesterday I helped cook a country breakfast for dinner after shopping around at Target and running into Wegman's (which is the coolest grocery store ever, by the way). Hope dropped me off at the bus stop at the airport, as usual. There was lots of folks waiting and huddling around, still adjusting to the temperature, which was cold. And this guy asked me about the metro. He seemed strange. He asked when the bus was coming and then announced to me and the other guy next to me that he needed to go to the bathroom. And then he walked off, leaving all his stuff behind just sitting there!

As we all trooped on the bus, I asked to driver a question and he said he didn't know because this was his first run of that route. But I didn't expect him to get lost leaving the airport! He took the wrong exit and everyone yelled for him to pay attention. He stopped the bus (pretty sure he didn't even pull off to the side) and told everyone it was his first time and told them to stop yelling at him! The he turned off all the bus lights as he backed up the freeway ramp into oncoming traffic. And the full bus load of people sat there muttering and wondering what was going to happen next as we reversed 200 feet.

After getting on the correct tollway and the lights coming back on and crossing 4 lanes of traffic, we went in circles at the park and ride for a while, as the strange guy from the bus stop started shifting around, putting on his sunglasses, turning and staring at people, at me. A woman in the back of the bus started a cell phone conversation with her grandma which got progressively louder until she was shouting the same sentence over and over. "Granma, he didn't know you was there!" I was profoundly grateful to get off the bus at Rosslyn, brushing by a belligerent homeless guy trying to get on the bus without money.

At this point I was hoping for a quiet finish home. And it was really, just a crazy guy wandering around the metro with large gold plastic bag on his head, with the handles looped around his ears. Oh, and the renaissance dressed picketers. There was a colonial era town crier, standing near there as well, with oil lamp and everything. Also hold a sign. But other than that, relatively normal. :)

So today, I am glad to be in class, with the privileged Georgetown students. Avoiding the weirdness. Except for on the bus drive this morning, where a fight almost erupted between two elderly citizens that were cane dependent. And the bus almost got plowed into by a Jag. You know. The usual!

Frankly, school work is looking good! Mom's coming this afternoon and I am hoping all the crazies go into hiding by then. I really want her visit to go well. I felt like this last time when she came to meet me in Paris. There was a garbage strike on for well over a week before she arrived. Just what you want to see of Paris. Garbage. Luckily it ended that morning and it was almost gone by the afternoon. Pray the same thing happens!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yay, Malia is getting visits from her mum! That's great, I'm you two will have a fabulous time together.