Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Well, it been awfully quiet here

Since I last spoke with y'all, I finished a biochem test which I thought(hope/am desperately praying) went well. I probably won't know about either test until at least school starts again on Monday. Maybe even later. But I do feel fairly confident and pleased than none of the topics tested were completely unknown. And even the one I messed up on in physics I had the concept and set up right. For once partial credit would be completely in my favor. Ugh! It was not available on this test.

Today has followed similar lazy days since Friday. Friday night Hope and I trucked it out of the city to 'burbs via mass transit, enjoying a chance to chat in person and exchange odds and ends of family life. I have to say the day was ended well with a little Shiraz wine which we stopped to pick up as well as some triple cream cheese and fresh bread (which I insisted upon). Saturday I slept in until literally 2pm. I think if Hope hadn't sent the girls down to wake me I might have continued sleeping. The girls and I watched Freaky Friday (the new one with Lindsey Lohan) and made caramel popcorn while Hope and Terry went grocery shopping. It was really fun.

I went to bed early again that night and slept fairly late, but Sunday we did try for some exercise. Ok, only in the direct of the nearest Starbucks, but it was a 2 mile roundtrip walk! The sun was warm and I think all of us were happy to see Spring around the corner.

Monday the girls were back into school, and Hope and Terry were at work, so I headed home to enjoy a bike ride in the "unseasonably" warm weather. I was still tired, so yesterday's foray was perfunctory at best. Today I decided to best myself, and ignoring the gray clouds and possible thunderstorms, I set off through Georgetown to the Mount Vernon Trail, a paved 18 mile trip that starts in Arlington near the Rosslyn metro station and ends (not surprisingly) at the home of the first president. I didn't quite make it that far today. But I did finally make it to Roosevelt Island, which is undeveloped except for a walking bridge to it and a car bridge on the southern tip. It had become a bit of a goal of mine to visit and walk around. I must say it was rather anticlimactic. Hopefully further into Spring the island will take on some color and life.

The trail itself is very flat. However the wind had added alot of work, even coming down the "big" Wisconsin hill. So by mile marker 15, I was ready to turn tail and go home. I called Mom and Dad to check in and "share" lunch, turkey and provolone sandwich. Trying to keep the momentum up until home and not take the bus, I wound my way through Foxhall. I never got completely lost, but I was definitely momentarily "misplaced". It added at least a mile to trek home, all of it up hill!


The picture of me and the bike has Roosevelt Island as the background. The bright orange pants are my biking pants and worn in honor of Mom, who I know worries about me being visible to crazy drivers. The wave/bird statue is an often overlooked "Navy and Marine Memorial" which practically inaccessible (totally inaccessible during current construction) just south of Ladybird Johnson Park and Arlington Cemetery. The last picture is the classic looking over the Potomac at the Lincoln Monument to the Washington Monument. I was going to take more pictures of the estates around Foxhall, but it always makes me a bit nervous. They seem rather serious about security. I think I will those pictures for a day when I am with someone else, okay?

No comments: