Saturday, March 15, 2008

Spring is about to spring!



I am incredibly tired. Think this is the first time I have come home fine, and then as I let down from my ride, felt pooped. but it was worth it to be out in the sun. In true Malia style, I did propose two options: study first or bike ride first. Obviously bike riding won out my a long shot. After all, I reasoned to myself, the sun wouldn't stay, the homework would!

The picture is Arlington House, at the National Cemetery. The video is a plane taking off from Reagan National Airport as seen from Gravelly Point park. Everyone and their brother was out in force today. I first rode near the monuments, up the Lincoln. However I realized soon that the place was crawling with tourists would didn't know where they were going except that it uniformly seemed to be in the way of anyone trying to actually get anywhere (like me!). I have never seen quite so many near pedestrian/pedestrian mishaps. Wowser! So I popped over the Memorial Bridge and down to the Mount Vernon trail for several miles. And there were all the native DCers sitting on the banks of the Potomac River, soaking up the sun, staring at the planes taking off, cutting folks off as bikers rather than their usual as car drivers. Lots of families and picnic lunches. It was wonderful to see, especially since on Wisconsin near home I had seen a whole slew of folks wearing their puffer down jackets, black leather gloves, and scarves, as though it weren't close to 65 degrees outside!

No comments: