Saturday, December 1, 2007

You know your water is hard when . . .

After not using it for a whole day and a half, the shower diverter is hard crusted in crystals and won't turn on without being hit by a hammer (nicely of course). Problem solved.

On other problems solved note, many of you have been eagerly follow (and laughing at) my saga with the hole punch. Well yesterday proved a continuation. After studying for hours at school, I decided to make a quick trip downtown to an office supplies store to pick up a heavier duty hole punch. Unfortunately, the bus system was against me. First the right bus did not come, and I improvised, taking another bus in the same general direction, because I couldn't stand waiting after watching 3 other buses go by. I got off in front of the White House, which now sports a giant red bow (I will take a picture soon, I promise!) and walked over to K street, which has become a sort of nemesis for me, I must admit. After walking up and down, stopping for Starbucks and directions, I took the bus the rest of the way down to Union Station in hopes of finding the Office Max or something. Finally I settled for FedEx Kinko's which the confused barista informed was just like an office supply store.

They did have a Swingline hole punch, and an irate customer complaining loudly that she was being charged for the cover sheet of all her faxes when it had Kinko's logos on it. So I waited. Patiently. Because I understand frustration and employees just trying to survive through it. But then came the tipper, because the employee then took me over to the other counter and moved to the back where the other 6 employees were now congregated talking. And I stood there, waiting, as other employees passed me standing there, and ignored me. And the others stood at the back chatting as the first employee tried to get another one's attention. And this situation remained stable and inactive for at least 10 minutes. Because all I really want was to take the money out of my wallet and leave it on the counter. I just wanted to go home.

When my wait ended with no apology, I left annoyed. But worse was to come. Because I waited for the bus. And waited. And waited. When relief finally seemed in sight, I felt close to tears. It had become a three plus hour tour. To get a hole punch!! And the stupid bus was full so it passed our stop and kept going without picking anyone up. So finally after waiting an hour and 15 minutes I gave up and started walking home. And there I had it. My hole punch. Which I didn't even want any more! Not really but still!! Oh, and I almost beat the bus home. An empty not in service bus passed me as I started to walk past Mass. Ave and then right behind it was another bus, packed to the gills with the other folk like me who kept thinking that if they just waited a few more minutes, the bus would surely come. So at 5 o'clock, commuters aplenty, 14 buses did not arrive on schedule.

I joked to my friend Danielle as I complained about the whole silly fiasco, "what am I going to do, write a strongly worded letter?" This is my strongly worded letter.

No comments: