Sunday, December 9, 2007

Sitting, studying, enjoying

I am sitting and studying. I just made myself a concoction from trader joe's mint hot cocoa, milk and espresso. Very close to a mint mocha but with less overwhelming chocolate flavor. I must say I did well. I set to start studying organic chemistry again after stopping to go out to dinner with my friend Colleen. And studying biology briefly with my mother on the phone as she drove to a dinner engagement (dad was driving, I promise that the first question I asked when she told me where she was!).

Today I saw an amazing feat (and feet). As I looked out my window at my desk cum dining table, I saw something fly toward the window of one the apartments in the building next door. From an extremely precarious branch, a squirrel had jumped to the sill. Slowly back and forth he moved, carefully inspecting for cracks, peering intently in as though he asking to be let in. He stayed in front of those windows for several minutes appearing confused why he couldn't get in. Then he scrambled on the sheer brick face of the building to the next set of windows over, repeat the routine, back and forth, searching, examining intently, confused why this wasn't working. He backtracked reluctantly, finally jumping from the perch of the window air conditioner to the spindly little branch. I held my breath as he made the jump, so precarious was the situation. However he made the leap successfully only to mournfully (at least to me) turn around to stare at the windows again, as though hoping he had been wrong before. My eyes finally left him and returned to my neglected work. Many minutes later I saw a squirrel sitting in the lee of a branch and the trunk of the tree staring at the same window.

The whole thing was so daring I applauded the intrepid little interloper-wannabe. But it did make me think twice about ever leaving my "safe" windows open again.

No comments: