Monday, February 4, 2008

Always know who you are quoting

I recently placed a quote on my blog by the author, Anais Nin. I guess this just goes to show that wisdom can come from some spectacularly unwise people. While looking something else up, I came across her name for something else and followed the wikipedia lead to a summary of her life. While I can applaud her efforts to break traditional writing guidelines, her topics were less than savory for the average discerning reader. And her life followed a pattern of seeking other people to fulfill herself, at the destruction of any sense of morality and acceptability. Ok, that is mostly my viewpoint (and judgment) on her. Which is a subjective thing. What can be stated without question is that I doubt that there are many people who would state that hers is a lifestyle to be emulated.

That said, it just goes to show that you can learn for all types of people, and all sorts of sources. I hope I am open to learning lessons from all sources in my life.

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."

No comments: