Saturday, September 27, 2008

Maybe Katie


I gave up on Tammy the kitty after weeks of pursuit. She having peeing outside the box issues. And while I admire people who can think outside the box, peeing is another thing entirely. So I am 'interviewing' two kitty this weekend. Today I met Katie. She is a beautiful long haired charcoal color (see the picture). She appears to be pretty big but when you actually get your hands on her, she is pretty smallish. Still substantial, but not huge. She is definitely a 'personality,' which is a politely hidden way of saying slightly difficult. I think she will definitely be a little work, but a completely loyal cat, very uninterested in being touched or associated with strangers. She is also one who would prefer sole reign of the house, without other animals (she has only be tested with other cats). I personally don't think she minds them that much, but she does tell them to steer clear with little grrr here and there. She did let me hang out near her quite easily and pet her for short periods of time. Her foster mom said it took a good month before Katie would allow her to pet without batting at her. She would go for days and then do it again. It definitely a method of showing whose boss. She does consent to sit near her foster mom now and enjoy up close love. The jury is still out. Tomorrow I meet Savannah, who promises to be a little easier.

Part of me wants to take Katie, simply because I know she will be really hard to place. Few people want a cat that may never be super affectionate. Though I think she would eventually become easier, she will never be easy. 

On another completely unrelated note, I am now a huge fan of Animal Planet. The show Its me or the Dog and the Animal Police, Houston are my favorites. Though it hard to watch animals being mistreated on the Animal Police, they always show you the happy ending or at least good ending. I think living with a pet (specifically my Oscar dog) has made me go slightly nuts, craving the animal interaction. Even though I realize I can't have a dog as I face med school in the semi-immediate future (definitely within the life span of a dog, even an older one), I really miss having that companion, intelligent and interactive. Ok, so this wasn't completely unrelated.

For those of you who have missed the odd anecdotes of daily life that used to make up the this blog, its coming again. Monday starts the new Chapter : Malia works random job and become a financially responsible citizen. We see how that goes.

I will up date tomorrow and tell you how Savannah flies.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I agree, Animal Police is a very sad show. My sister and I use to watch it a lot. It's horrific to think of how some people treat animals.