Tuesday, June 17, 2008

There's something about the Blommer

The science library at GU, that is. It just makes me want to write! Most obviously about myself and anything else I can think of. However today I actually have news and fun stories to tell!

Starting with yesterday. I went on an interview with my cousin Hope's company. It went really well. I enjoyed meeting the different company recruiters and dressing up to look the part. Office attire is so fun. The interview process lasted two and a half hours, though it was fairly free form, so its not like I was being grilled under lamps for that long. Although there was brief mention of finding salt and pepper.

By that time, I needed to catch a bus into town (it was in Mclean) and make the switch so Hope could have a car to come home in. I arrived barely ontime to my first MCAT prep course (ExamKrackers) and found out no the class or teacher. I hung out talking to another kid waiting, a 5th year senior from University of Missouri named Osa. After the interview, I was primed to make friends and connections with strangers.

The class, unfortunately, which was to have started at 2pm had been moved to 6pm. This was something I had been trying to avoid because it made commuting out to Dulles area of northern Virginia impossible. But I stuck around the District, shopped Marshall's and Target at Columbia Heights and ended up with a really cute pair of shoes, which placed different blisters on my feet than the ones I was wearing. It thundered and lightening royally and had started to spit rain about the time I moved from eating a sub for lunch to drinking Starbucks coffee (grande skinny vanilla, as always).

The torrents of sheeting rain had tapered to a soaking pour by the time I left to catch the Metro back to campus. But the walk to the Howard campus was several blocks. Even though I had time, I decided not to wait for the bus. I was going to enjoy the rain. Even though my glasses were impenetrable from rain drops and my nice ironed shirt (lets face it, it had already been had!) was completely soaked. I was very thankful I had worn a small cami underneath, since I would a been showing more than I am normally comfortable with! I had no hope of arriving anything less than looking like a drowned rat, when a Prius stopped at the curb and the man inside rolled down the window. I was a little sketched out until an umbrella was outstretched. I laughed and said, "you feel that bad for me? Thank you so much." I think I heard a "your welcome" from the car as it immediately pulled away from the curb, the window not even beginning to roll up yet. It was a wonderful thing to do and made my day. Probably even my week.

The class turns out to have been a sponsored one for Howard University students, so there were only three of us who did "belong." It also meant we were the three who had paid the most for the course! But though I think pretty much everything I learn in the class will be redundant, the repetition is exactly what I need to totally kick the MCAT out of the park, which I feel is a real possibility.

Class ran long. I ended leaving before it was done. I am guessing it continued for at least 20 more minutes. I had a bus to catch that left L'Enfant Plaza at 10:38, which I hadn't anticipated being problematic. Well, it was. Trains take longer at night. And guess what? The exit to the correct corner (D and 7th) was completely closed. When I left the Metro station the clock said 10:35pm. I started running up the escalator. And thought I had had gotten lost in a mall or something. Luckily I chucked my pride and asked for directions from a security guard right there because even after running down the block (in heels with blisters no less) I just barely made the bus. They were about to pull out. Since it was the last bus of the night, and it already arrived at 11:30 pm, I was completely sunk for public transportation if I missed it. Praise the Lord, I made it. It made for a long day, pretty rough. And I can't express my thanks to Hope enough for staying awake and about long enough to come get me at the bus stop, especially since she had to be up early this morning to leave for another round of work.

Thank you, Hope. For the many helps.

Lastly, a funny story from my best friend, who suffers through the trials and tribulations of being a middle school teacher in the Bronx for only 11 more days of school. Two years over with. Maybe they were well spent. I know you sure feel spent. So during the course of staff meeting with all the teachers, her principal notes that "she helps out with all the children on all 8 continents." For those of you not perfectly remembering your fifth grade geography and counting slowly in your mind (as I did) making certain that what just sounds wrong actually is wrong. There are 7 continents, and she is probably only involved with helping children on the 6 inhabited ones. Apparently now the teachers at the school talk about the outreach to penguin children.

No comments: