Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Pope, protesters and more




I had realized previously that the Vatican Embassy was ridiculously close to me. But as I sat watching the news I realized I just couldn't not go and try to see something. It was just too random! Especially after I called Dad and said, "so the Pope has arrived." And he replied, "is this part of a joke? Like 'So the Pope walks into a bar. . .'"

There were tickets given to 3 parishes with specifics people to stand on the lawn of the Vatican Embassy. I was definitely in the "bleechers" if you will. The picture of the police and a glimpse of the people waiting for the Pope to come. The banners were amazing. There were definitely protesters, however they were mostly drown out with the sing of the Catholic faithful. The protesters were scary, the drumming and chant was a little unnerving as well. But it was nice that the guy on the bull horn didn't get the whole stage. The last picture is of the Iraqi Embassy. Actually, I am sorta guessing it might be the "Iraqi-Embassy-to-be" since I have never really seen movement around there. Then again, I had never seen movement around the Vatican Embassy until recently either. I wonder if they lease it out or something.

No comments: