Friday, April 18, 2008

Once and again, life;s little oddities

I was searching for a song called "Rain" by Patty Griffin that I heard on Bones (my new favorite show, at least until I run out of episodes anyway!) and I found the song quickly. Itunes even predict from my searching for "Patty" that "Griffin" was going to be my next word (which borders on creepy and cool at the same time). However while noting that she was also featured on other listing I noticed that the artist was listed on an itunes Essentials list for Thanksgiving dinner. I generally check out these lists since my taste in music varies and changes rapidly. What stunned me about this list was not its presence, since there are "Essentials" lists for everything for a Lazy Sunday the absolute must have Tibetan throat singers. This list was special because it was for a holiday that revolves completely around family and yet it had Explicit songs listed. Family, Thanksgiving, Explicit songs? huh? Anyone else seeing the disconnect there?

The Patty Griffin song is pretty good by the way.

As for me, I am mellowing in my apartment, waiting to do any thinking until it drops below 65 degrees. My building, despite the fact that we have now had several weeks in a row of consistently high temperatures (2-5 degrees higher than average) has still not turned the air conditioning on. In fact, they also haven't turned the heat off. So my cooling system is the two windows wide open and now hoping that not too many people will smoke for much longer. Since I seem to be able to smell quite a bit of it going on! It feels very Rear Window. I expect to see a murder and frankly I think a Grace Kelly character hanging around might add life interest for sure.

All this open window business is lovely. Or would be normally. But apparently my move to the mid-Atlantic region triggered latent allergies. Pretty much everyone has them here, it feels like. And so do I now. Argh! The pollen count quadrupled yesterday and has continued climbing today for already obscenely high. And I can tell you, I feel it! As much as I love my bike and riding around, the combined heat and pollen had me hacking like a life long smoker with emphysema. Hopefully I will get soon at least get that cool sexy raspy voice. I mean, one can hope?

Despite being Friday night, I think I will call it a day. And try to get up early tomorrow and enjoy the early morning rather than late afternoon I usually wake up to. Its supposed to be mid-80's again tomorrow and I want to have my bike ride early enough that I can spend the rest of the afternoon studying. In the library. Where its actually cool. You being forced to leave my apartment windows open in the dead of winter because it was ridiculously hot (the heat was ALWAYS on high) was one thing. I mean, when its 30 degrees outside, you want to come home to an apartment that averages the mid-80 without even trying. But when it a hot Spring, the heat indoors becomes significantly less appealing! (Grumble, grumble, sorry!)

No comments: