Monday, May 3, 2010

That moment when you realize you grew up

Somewhere along the way, apparently I grew up just a little. Funny that it has taken until 27 and I am still not where I planned to be. However, by and large, I am happier and more emotionally healthy than I have ever been. I had to give presentations at work and they went really well. I got a lot of good feedback and I will be doing more of the same type over the next couple of weeks. Just remembering my fears of unknown situations, unknown people, and public speaking I am amazed. I still instinctively shy away from unknown situations, parties where I won't know more than one person or where I will be too much on display. Let's face it, very few people are truly comfortable or blossom in those situations (more power to you extroverts!). But I have survived several uncomfortable encounters lately with no scars or major traumas.

People who haven't know me long actually laugh at me when I say I am shy. Mostly because my shorter term acquaintances are work-related. In the workplace I have a purpose and am confident; I am a value-add (don't you love the irritating business language use?). I am under-employed at work and I am fully aware of that fact.

I am back to being uncertain about my long term work outlook. The government has decided to in-source to positions currently being filled by my contracting company. I am not sure yet what I will do, whether I will try for a government position and a pay cut, or hold out for another contracting position which may only last for a few months. A Democratic Administration is not the time to be relying on a plethora of contracting jobs popping up. I am hopeful that something will come along suited to my personality, long-term goals, and talents. Or rather, I remain hopeful. I have been waiting for a while. :)

1 comment:

Merissa said...

proud of you for pulling off a great presentation. takes skills. maybe i can get some from you.=)