Sunday, July 27, 2008

Didn't take a single picture

I went to the Spy Museum here in DC yesterday with my little sis from the sorority and two friends of hers who were also from the sorority. I thoroughly enjoyed myself doing both the museum and the "Operation Spy." Warning, however, this is pretty much the only museum in DC with a cover charge, and its steep. 25 bucks for the two parts when bought together. So I probably won't be going there to hang out randomly. But I did learn more about the building that makes of the entire view for every window in the apartment. Apparently when the Soviets were building this new embassy compound here in Glover Park, the Americans were equally busy making sure the whole thing was bugged everywhere. The Russians got rid of some and others didn't find for quite a while. And there is a rumored tunnel somewhere from one of the nearby houses going under the embassy to listen in, though that is unconfirmed yet.

The bummer of the experience is that I completely forgot to take my camera so I missed out on pictures of anything there or later when we adjourned to McCormick and Schmidt after stopping in the National Portrait Gallery (which was AMAZING! I love Thomas Hart Benton and Catlin and early 19th century American furniture). Samantha met up with us at the restaurant where we bought out the really cheap happy hour deals, ordering one of at least half the menu and sharing all around. Though portions were small, we were all filled. But may I completely reccommend this happy hour. For $1.95 you get a half pound burger and fries. It was AWESOME! That was not small, so it offset the shrimp creviche which tasted excellent but consisted of only four battered shrimp. Total. I must admit to being eager to return for the burger and a taste of one of the few things on the menu we didn't try, bacon and cheddar taters.

Megan and her visitors returned briefly to Baltimore then came back to stay with me and Sam last night. I really enjoyed having visitors, despite the mess of the apartment and I think they enjoyed staying here.

This morning, despite getting little sleep, the visiting crew left for Virginia Beach and shortly there after Samantha informed me I was not going to be catching up on my sleep but joining her for her school's picnic. Social situations with absolutely no one I know are not completely my strong point, but I think Samantha was glad I was there for the first part and I really enjoyed seeing everyone, children, parents and teachers interacting. It was very joyful and relaxed. And man were the little ones, some only in pre-kindergarten, awfully cute. I would have loved to hang out with some of them for a little while, but they were all going a million miles a minute, jumping on the moon bounce, running through the obstacle course and sliding the huge blow-up slide to the bottom. Reminds me of my Declan who is not so little at all, but still so gosh darn cute!

No comments: