Thursday, August 30, 2007

Today biology, tomorrow the world

So today I start my biology class. I always forget how much I absolutely adore biology. Even when I am struggling to learn something particularly difficult, I still like it. Which probably says that I am crazy. But it also speaks to the fact that I had a very excellent teacher for my first ever biology class in high school who taught me to love the subject.

For some reason, too, I think most biology teachers are slightly crazy, in the best possible academic sense. My new prof actually encouraged us to talk to the dean when we did not feel a professor was doing an adequate job teaching. I mean, how secure do you have to be in life to recommend that a student complain? I think it is really cool. I can see the prof getting boring on occasion. There is something of the monotonous tonal element, but he seems aware of that and does interesting things to engage attention. I feel very hopeful that I can do really well in this class and even enjoy it.

Now that I have seen all my profs, I feel . . . cautiously optimistic. The second day of school where all is laid out in front of you, where you aren't behind on any assignments or feeling lost yet. Opportunity is ahead to do well. (One should not however that my feelings WILL change. Being me, I am waiting for the shoe to drop!) But today is good.

On the home front, I returned to my lovely little studio yesterday after a more than a little overwhelming day and brought out my America's Test Kitchen recipe cards (completely with mouthwatering pictures) to decide on a dinner that would bury my worries in fun cooking and great taste. I must say it is a rather effective and enjoyable way of putting aside worries. After all, you have to eat! So there is no guilt for time spent! Plus in the end you get a sesame sauteed chicken dipped in peanut sauce and that is happiness right there! Some times I wish I could be happy just being a cook. I would really gain weight there!

Well, I am off to study!

2 comments:

Lopine said...

If you like Bio that much, yep, you're crazy.
Oh and btw, Rodney still hasn't gotten a hold of me so I moved on and asked Beth for one.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love America's Test Kitchen, have you tried their amazing Oatmeal Cookies? Those things are to die for yummy and a great way to bribe classmates for their study notes. :)

~Shannon