Sunday, June 13, 2010

Adventures in Malia-land

I moved into the new place yesterday. All the really heavy stuff got
moved with the help of my friends Bud, Mashari and Merissa. We spent
about 2 hours moving and loading and unloading. 3 cars filled to the
brim. I still have more to clean and grab at the old place. And my
whole body is sore. I did more moving and errands by myself last night.

But that's not the adventure. That started this morning when I went to
get Rebecca at the door, who graciously agreed to paint a few walls in
the apartment with me. I locked the bottom lock to be safer last night
and relied on it this morning. The last tenant didn't tell me (or the
landlord) that she never had the key to the bottom lock. I was well
and truly locked out of the apartment. With Rebecca, my phone and my
useless keys.

We tried the neighbor who shares the balcony (wasn't home) and the
locksmith recommended by the condo association (didn't have a working
car) and kept striking out. We finally got a locksmith who promised to
arrive in roughly 1/2 hour. In the mean time, another friend arrived
and after 20 minutes and two AAA wallet cards, he had the door open.
After looking at the lock and the door jam, the locksmith commended my
friend on his skill at breaking in. It was apparently a next to
impossible feat. And when he put a new bottom door lock on, he drilled
it slightly wider to prevent anyone from being able to do it again.

Thank goodness for the kindness of friends.

1 comment:

Merissa said...

so who is the magic door hacker?=) sorry we missed you. we were actually sitting in a church pew, if you can believe it.